Palmerston's enviable sub-tropical climate presents a unique opportunity to harness solar power to create a clean, green and energy neutral community.
Council is committed to implementing solar and renewal energy initiatives that will have both financial and environmental benefits for the Palmerston community.
Solar farms which would include:
- Rehabilitated Archer Landfill site would accommodate up to a 15MW system
- Archer sporting field which would accommodate a 2MW system
- Cost and duration
Estimate cost (commercial partnership). The project is expected to be delivered over a 2 year period.
- generates enough clean energy to power Palmerston making Palmerston energy neutral
- reduces carbon emissions and energy costs
- adaptive re-use of land
- creates alternative revenue streams for ratepayers
- provides energy security
Council is seeking funding partnership between the Federal, Northern Territory Government and private sector.
Photo L to R: Solar farm, Darwin International Airport - Solar farm, Archer area - proposed Palmerston solar farm