In Palmerston for most of the year ambient temperatures and humidity are high. Landscaped spaces and green corridors enhance visual appeal, cool our infrastructure and support physical and mental health of our residents and visitors.
The Liveable Cities project will increased green cover through tree planting. Grant scheme for property and business owners to assist in upgrading shop fronts and providing shelter.
- Cost and duration
Estimated $3.5 million over 3 years
- $500,000 committed from the Northern Territory Government
- $500,000 committed from City of Palmerston
Council is seeking funding partnership between the Federal and the Northern Territory Government. Grant scheme will complement investment by property and business owners.
- Reduces effects of heat and climate
- Promotes the viability of small retail and commercial businesses
- Helps building owners to attract and retain tenants
- Improves comfort for residents, workers and visitors to the area
- Creates local jobs by making shopping streets more inviting and interesting places to work and shop
- Build local community and civic pride among the business community and people of the Palmerston region
- Provides economic uplift
- Increases health benefits
Zuccoli Parade Streetscape Project: The beautification of Zuccoli Parade, between Lambrick Avenue and Vitex Street, will involve the planting of native trees and grasses across verges, median strips and roundabouts; contributing to the greening, shading and cooling of the area.
Residents in the area will receive notification of the project by mail in September. Landscaping works are anticipated to commence in November. Works will be undertaken over several stages to minimise any disruption to local traffic as well as to cater for the availability of trees and plants. Short-term traffic control or partial road closures to ensure the safety of contractors and residents will be in place during the term of the works.
This project is funded by the Northern Territory Government and City of Palmerston.
Photos below left to right: suburb of Zuccoli, Woodroffe shops, artist impression of Woodroffe shops, entrance to Zuccoli, artist impression of new entrance to Zuccoli, cnr Temple Tce and Chung Wah Tce, artist impression of cnr Temple Tce and Chung Wah Tce.