There are many options when it comes to parking in the Palmerston city centre.
The hours of paid parking operation are Monday to Friday, 8am-5pm, with free untimed parking in all zones on weekends and public holidays.
Charges apply in both on-street and off-street parking areas. There are two paid parking zones within the city centre:
- Zone A: 2-hour parking - $1.80 per hour (maximum 2 hours)
- Zone B: All day parking - $1.00 per hour up to a maximum charge of $4.00 (all day)
Please observe and obey all signage as time restrictions do vary within the car parks, however the main time restrictions which apply are as follows:
- Water Tower car park: 1hr and 2h time restricted
- Civic Centre car park: 1hr time restricted and all-day parking
- Five Ash Lane car parks: all day parking
- Recreation Centre car park: 2hr time restricted and disability parking
- Temporary car park (opposite Arch Rivals): all day parking
- Fairway Drive: 2hr time restricted
Approximately 75% of total car parking in the CBD in existing private retail and commercial outlets remains free of charge and not subject to Council parking charges.
- Disabled parking bays (must display valid disability permit)
- Motorcycle parking bays
- Loading zones (goods vehicles)
- Taxi and minibus zones; and
- Parking areas signed as 1 hour or less
Please note: vehicles displaying a valid disability permit are permitted to park in Council managed on and off-street parking for twice the maximum time zone free of charge without penalty.
Annual all-day parking permits are available at a cost of $400.00 (pro-rata quarterly fees available) and can be purchased from Customer Services at Council’s Civic Centre.
Please note: a permit does not guarantee a parking spot.
All ticket machines will accept both coins and credit card payments.
The machines and car parks are clearly marked with signage indicating the zone, time restriction and the applicable rate.
Drivers should check ticket machines carefully to ensure they pay the correct fee and abide by the time restrictions. The purchased ticket will need to be clearly displayed on the vehicle’s dashboard.
Map: city centre car parking
Map: zone B (all day parking)
Palmerston city centre parking strategy
Pay and display
Zone B annual parking permit
Questions and answers
Car parking contribution plan