Following feedback from the community, City of Palmerston developed a Concept Plan for potential improvements to the Marlow Lagoon Dog Park. The concept plan was developed after Council received a petition about creating a dedicated small dog area at the park.
The park already has a number of amenities available, including a large common area for all dogs, a dog agility course, a shaded BBQ area, pathways, shade trees, a smaller fenced area to separate dogs, park benches and lake frontage.
Suggested improvements have been incorporated into a Stage 1 Works final plan. They ensure the park is designed in line with Council’s vision of ‘A Place for People’, while catering for the needs of their canine companions.
The initial Concept Plan, designed by open space and animal behaviour specialists LMH Consulting/Paws4Play, includes options for zones and sensory elements to help manage dog behaviours and ensure all users can enjoy the park.
The design took into consideration safety, separating activity areas and maintaining pedestrian access points. The dog park has been designed to:
- help disperse dog activity across the park
- help distract dogs from a continued focus on play with other dogs
- provide areas where dogs can retreat, or where owners can take elderly or timid dogs
- help distract dogs from activity at the entry/exits
- expose dogs to a range of sensory and educational environments.
- Stage 1 Works - What's included?
Stage One of the Marlow Lagoon Dog Park Improvements will include (see Stage 1 Plan commencing April 2021 in images below):
Planting of additional shade trees;
A new footpath loop;
Year-round irrigation of new grassed areas;
Compound entry/exits to all park entrances;
A dedicated space provision for small dogs, including drinking water access;
A dedicated space provision for quiet dogs, including drinking water access;
Additional agility equipment, installed in stages;
Additionally, a new public toilet will be installed by October 2021.
The Marlow Lagoon Dog Park Improvements will be completed in stages, with Stage One works to commence on the 12th of April 2021, and take approximately 10 weeks to complete.
Updates on Stage One will be provided through City of Palmerston’s Facebook page and on the website.
Future improvements to the dog park will be subject to budget, and the following elements have been supported for the future stages to the dog park:
• Additional seating and drinking water for dogs and humans in key locations around the park;
• Shelters for shade and protection from rain;
• Lake edge improvements;
• Provide troughs or areas for dogs to cool off;
• Landscaping and sensory areas; and
• Education / agility equipment.
Information regarding future stages, including timeline, will be provided through Council’s website and Facebook page.