City of Palmerston actively supports initiatives which benefit the community.
Council provides support by way of grants, donations, scholarships and sponsorships. Applications can be made to Council at any time throughout the financial year.
Council commits to setting an amount in its budget process dedicated to initiatives governed by this policy. Where budgeted funds are not expended during the financial year, excess funds will be transferred to a Reserve which will be maintained at no greater than $100,000 annually.
A funding agreement prepared by Council, outlining conditions, must be signed by the successful applicant and returned to City of Palmerston prior to disbursement of funds.
- View last year’s recipients of community grants and scholarships
- View the policy for Grants, Donations, Scholarships and Sponsorships
- View the goals and strategies as outlined in the Municipal Plan 2017-2022 (page 12-17)
Applications can be made in writing to City of Palmerston via:
PO Box 1, Palmerston NT 0831
Grant: where Council provides financial or in-kind support to a community organisation carrying out a project or activity benefitting the community, and where the organisation will need to acquit funds provided. GST is not applicable. Council is recognised for its contribution.
Donation: where Council provides financial or in-kind support to a community organisation carrying out a project, activity, or purchase of material goods. Acquittal of funds is not required. GST is not applicable. Council is recognised for its contribution.
Sponsorship: where Council provides financial or in-kind support to a community activity or event, and where Council is widely identified as a sponsor of the event as per details in the Agreed Conditions of Funding. Acquittal of funds is not required. GST is applicable.
Scholarship: where Council provides financial support for education or an educational activity. Acquittal of funds is not required. GST is applicable. Council is recognised for its contribution.
All categories of financial or in-kind support from Council will be assessed for the following eligibility:
- Financial support will be restricted to one successful application per financial year.
- Community groups, incorporations and not for profit organisations are eligible to apply for grants, donations and sponsorships.
- Application by individuals will ONLY be considered for Scholarship category, no other categories.
- Applications by commercial entities will ONLY be considered for Special Projects Category, no other categories.
- Requests from religious organisations or schools are specifically excluded unless there is a clear community benefit to Palmerston.
- Activity must benefit the Palmerston Community.
Recurring funding arrangements
Where recurring annual funding is appropriate, the organisation must comply with the criteria set out above, and Council must resolve to provide the recurring funding.
Where criteria are not met
Where a request for a Grant, Donation, Scholarship or Sponsorship is made which does not comply with the criteria outlined above and is deemed to have merit by the Chief Executive Officer, the request will be forwarded to the Community, Culture and Environment Committee for consideration, followed by a recommendation to Council.
p: (08) 8935 9922