City of Palmerston actively supports initiatives which benefit the community.
Council provides support by way of grants, donations, scholarships and sponsorships. Applications can be made to Council at any time throughout the financial year.
Council commits to setting an amount in its budget process dedicated to initiatives governed by this policy. Where budgeted funds are not expended during the financial year, excess funds will be transferred to a Reserve which will be maintained at no greater than $100,000 annually.
A funding agreement prepared by Council, outlining conditions, must be signed by the successful applicant and returned to City of Palmerston prior to disbursement of funds.
- View last year’s recipients of community grants and scholarships
- View the policy for Grants, Donations, Scholarships and Sponsorships
- View the goals and strategies as outlined in the Community Plan
Applications can be made in writing to City of Palmerston:
PO Box 1, Palmerston NT 0831
Grant: where Council provides financial or in-kind support to a community organisation carrying out a project or activity benefitting the community, or environment, and where the organisation will may need to acquit funds provided. GST is not applicable. Council is recognised for its contribution.
Donation: where Council provides financial or in-kind support to a community organisation carrying out a project, activity, or purchase of material goods. Acquittal of funds is not required. GST is not applicable. Council is recognised for its contribution.
Representation support: where Council provides financial support for individuals and teams representing Palmerston, the Northern Territory or Australia. The action of speaking, competing or acting on behalf of Palmerston, Northern Territory or Australia as part of a team, a community group or as an individual in a sporting or other challenge where the nominated individual is based in Palmerston. Acquittal of funds is not required. Council is recognised for its contribution. Representation Support is a form of Donation.
Scholarship: where Council provides financial support for education or an educational activity. Acquittal of funds is not required. GST is applicable. Council is recognised for its contribution.
Sponsorship: where Council provides financial or in-kind support to a community activity or event, and where Council is widely identified as a sponsor of the event as per details in the agreed conditions of funding. GST is applicable. Acquittal of funds is not required.
All categories of financial or in-kind support from Council will be assessed for the following eligibility:
- Financial support will be restricted to one successful application per financial year.
- Community groups, incorporations and not for profit organisations are eligible to apply for grants including environmental initiatives and graffiti removal grant, donations and sponsorships.
- Application by individuals will ONLY be considered for scholarship category, no other categories.
- Application by teams and individuals will be considered for representation support, a form of donation.
- Applications by commercial entities will ONLY be considered for special projects category, no other and categories. Environmental Initiative grant funding, where the commercial entity contributes at least 50% of the project cost and demonstrates the environmental and community benefits of the proposal.
- Requests from religious organisations or schools are specifically excluded unless there is a clear community benefit to Palmerston.
- Activity must benefit the Palmerston Community and/or environment.
Recurring funding arrangements
Where recurring annual funding is appropriate, the organisation must comply with the criteria set out above, and Council must resolve to provide the recurring funding.
Where criteria are not met
Where a request for a grant, donation, scholarship or sponsorship is made which does not comply with the criteria outlined above and is deemed to have merit by the Chief Executive Officer, the request will be forwarded to the Council for consideration.
p: (08) 8935 9922