Before you get started, please remember the following things when fishing:
- The use of barbless hooks is required and reduces the damage caused.
- Wet your hands before handling a fish.
- Do not hold a fish by its jaw or gills and support its weight horizontally using both hands – you should not hold a fish vertically.
- Do not put a fish you want to release onto a hot surface.
- Release fish as soon as possible after you have taken your picture.
- Revive a tired fish by holding it gently in the water with its head facing into any current to allow water to pass over its gills.
- Always be Croc Wise when spending time near Top End waterways.
Catch and Release fishing practices ensures that recreational fishing can be enjoyed by members of the community both now and into the future.