Project: The redevelopment of Gray Community Hall into a contemporary multi-use facility where people can meet, play and socialise.
Cost and funding: $1.83 million and is funded through a partnership between the Australian Government via the Community Development Grants program and the City of Palmerston.
Timeframe: May 2021 to early 2022
Status: Completed. The hall is now fully operational. For bookings and more information please here.
Located in the heart of Palmerston, Gray Community Hall offers an open space for community members and groups to hire for events and functions. It is Council most frequently hired facility and a much-loved home to a number of community groups. The redeveloped hall includes multiple zones to allow for simultaneous bookings, both indoor and outdoor.
- a main indoor function space
- a secondary indoor function space
- kitchen facilities
- veranda space with high ceiling fans
- internal access-compliant toilets
- an outdoor toilet accessible to those visiting the community garden
- solar PV on roof
- smart-controlled irrigation
- LED lighting
- a higher level of air-conditioning efficiency
The previously existing Gray Community Hall building was aging, an upgrade has been planned to create a space that is contemporary, versatile and caters to a wider community audience. The new build will achieve a higher level of value when compared with a renovation of the existing facility.
The final design for the redevelopment included the following additions:
- Internal and external CCTV
- A larger storage facility for all hall users
- Raised power points to assist with accessibility
- Hearing augmentation (audio induction loop)
- Installation of an accessibility compliant push button sliding door to the all-ability access toilet
- Storage facilities
- Baby changing facilities
- Floating timber flooring, being a ‘like for like’ replacement to the existing floor at the facility
M&J Builders Pty Ltd won best Commercial/Industrial construction under $5million and best Entertainment and Recreation Facility at the Master Builders Northern Territory awards.
The development was completed early 2022 and officially opened by City of Palmerston and the Federal Government on the 31 January. The media announcement can be found here.
Demolition commenced late May 2022 by McMahon Services Australia Pty Ltd. Construction commenced in June 2021.
February – May 2021
The construction tender closed 24 February 2021, with Indigenous owned company, M+J Builders formally announced of being award the contract on 5 May 2021.
For more information about the redevelopment, contact Council at email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (08) 8935 9922.