There is no doubt that owning a dog is rewarding. The City of Palmerston acknowledges the benefits of dog ownership and encourages dog owners to be responsible for their pet.
Dog owner responsibilities include:
- Annually registering your dog with the City of Palmerston
- Providing adequate food, water and shelter
- Providing exercise and mental stimulation to deter boredom
- Provide a safe environment for the dog with suitable fencing
- Arranging annual vaccinations from your vet
- Preventing heartworm and other intestinal worms
- Controlling external parasites like fleas and ticks
- Seek veterinary advice if the dog is sick or injured
- Desexing the dog if not used for breeding to prevent unwanted litters
- Walking the dog on a lead at all times unless in a designated off-lead area
- Cleaning up after your dog when exercising in a public place
- Providing training for the dog so that it does not become a nuisance to other
- Dog Registration
- Palmerston Dog Owners Guide
- Toys for your Dogs
- Dogs & Thunderstorms
- Emergency Planning for your Pets
- Is your dog safe with people?
- Starting your puppy off on the right paw
- Why Dogs Bark
- Separation Anxiety
For lost or found animals you can also search the RSPCA website. The site also has information on caring for your pets. Find out about caring for your pets, adopting a new pet, making a donation or volunteering at the RSPCA.