Council has three departments – Corporate, Community Services and Technical Services.
Incorporating Finance, Human Resources, Records Management, Information Technology and Customer Service.
Community Services includes:
- Library and Information Services: includes the Palmerston Library, Community Information Officers, and Kids Action Time. Library membership is open to all Northern Territory residents.
- Community Development: includes Community Events, Youth, Recreation, Health and Wellbeing, Arts and Cultural, Seniors, Children and Families and Safe Communities Development Officers.
- Community Facilities: Gray Community Hall, The Height, Durack Community Centre, Driver Family Resource Centre, Palmerston Recreation Centre and the Palmerston Swimming and Fitness Centre.
- Community Benefits Scheme: Grants, Donations, Scholarships and Sponsorships.
Technical Services is divided into two sections:
- Operations and Development: responsible for maintaining parks and gardens, council owned infrastructure (such as community centres and roads), rubbish collection and environmental management. In the Northern Territory, Councils do not administer planning and development applications.
- Ranger Services: responsible for legislation, regulations and by-laws relating to Palmerston. This includes traffic management, animal management, signage and public places.